Arizona senator who lost her son to an overdose last year says she has cancer

PHOENIX — Arizona Senator Christine Marsh announced in a Facebook post Thursday that she had been diagnosed with cancer.

She said in the Publish that it has been a very difficult year for her as she is still dealing with the death of her 25-year-old son from an overdose last year after ingesting a pill he thought was Percocet but was contaminated with fentanyl.

She added that we are still facing a global pandemic and there have been droughts, fires and floods.

“So perhaps it should come as no surprise that life has another challenge for me,” Marsh said in the post.

Marsh said she underwent successful surgery last week and the pathology report was favourable.

“I will still need follow-up chemotherapy, but I’m alive, I’m a fighter and I will persevere,” Marsh said.

“After facing my absolute worst fear of losing a child, everything else seems manageable.”

Marsh, a Democrat representing the state’s 28th Legislative District which covers Arcadia and parts of central Phoenix, Paradise Valley, the Biltmore area and Sunnyslope, said she will continue working from home as the legislature is not in session.

Also a teacher, Marsh said in the post that she didn’t know when she would return to class.

Marsh was relieved that she had followed health recommendations and got herself routinely screened, even without a family history or symptoms of cancer.

“This early diagnosis surely made a difference in my excellent prognosis, and I passionately encourage everyone to get the recommended screenings/tests/scans,” she said.

Following her son’s death, Marsh introduced a bill that legalized fentanyl test strips and removed the product from the state’s definition of prohibited drug paraphernalia.

Senate Bill 1486 was signed into law by Republican Governor Doug Ducey in May.

We want to hear from you.

Do you have a story idea or advice? Pass it on to the KTAR News team here.